PO Box 164 ~ Tres Piedras, NM 87577
575.741.8186 ~ firstname.lastname@example.org
Over twenty five years of comprehensive information technology and software development experience, with a unique combination of big-picture and detailed perspectives. Extensive expertise in the full lifecycle of distributed applications, with strong emphasis on database architecture, object-oriented design and development, and internet technologies. Results oriented with a successful track record. Major strengths include:
system architecture & design
application & database development
system & data integration
Linux, Solaris, HP/UX, AIX, Windows, Macintosh/OS X
Servers: Sybase, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL
APIs: JDBC, ODBC, DB-Lib/Ct-Lib, OCI
Languages: SQL, Transact-SQL, PL/SQL, PG/PLSQL
C/C++, Java, PHP, Perl, Ruby, Tcl, Shell (sh/bash, csh/tcsh, expect)
Servers: Apache, Microsoft IIS, Tomcat, Resin
Applications/Frameworks: Drupal/Ubercart, Wordpress, Kohana, Yii2, OSC/ZenCart, SquirrelMail, Dokeos, WebLogic, ColdFusion, Ruby on Rails
Other: AJAX, JSP/Taglibs, Servlets, EJBs, ASP, CyberSource ICS
make, CVS, Subversion, Erwin, CaseStudio
- Provides back end development and support for a long-standing financial news site.
- Provided extensive development and technical support for a major manufacturer of liquid herbal extracts. Back end development for the main public website and the online education website; configuration of standalone kiosk for demonstrations at industry tradeshows. Took over the development of their next generation website and online store (which was running almost a year late) and brought it to successful launch.
- Developed a Drupal distribution (with custom modules) focused on the needs of individual artists and writers looking to easily maintain their own data-driven websites (currently in use on three artist websites).
- Developed and provides ongoing support for a small, progressive website selling natural chewing gum.
- Provided ongoing development support (bug fixes and enhancements) for a popular social website focused on food.
- Developed an Apache module for high-performance, specialized ad rotation/serving.
- Developed a flexible and lightweight web application framework and related code generation tools, for rapid deployment of custom web sites.
- Produced technical documentation for an online restaurant reservation system, required for licensing of system to major credit card companies. Also conducted feasibility study and made technical recommendation for moving the complex transactional database from Oracle to an open source database.
- Developed SquirrelMail plug-ins for an email services company.
- Developed an open source digital music management application with unified interface to features including cddb integration; ripping, encoding, storing, and categorizing music files; and control of streaming media server.
- Defined new software infrastructure and related standards for web sites, application development, and internal systems, implementing previously lacking security, reliability, maintainability and extensibility.
- Developed application framework, core functionality utilizing framework, and scripts for automatic generation of framework-compliant code directly from data models.
- Dramatically improved speed, modularity, and data quality of various existing systems.
- Translated lead scientist's concept for sharing and comparing biological collections database schemas among participating public institutions into a functional system, including facilities for mapping disparate schemas, concept-based mapping ontology (thesaurus), and comprehensive import/export facilities based on XML/XSLT.
- Advised team defining distributed query protocol and building reference implementation.
- Provided IS support for Linux, Apache, Java, and Perl.
- Provided technical consulting for part of the original team building the Internet Archive (archive.org).
- Coordinated and was a key contributor to the architecture, design, and development of next generation online store for BuyDirect, CNET's E-commerce division launched as a separate company. Features included dynamic content management/publishing, order processing, digital/physical fulfillment, integration with internal systems and external partners, and customer service tools.
- Acted as development manager for a stellar engineering team of 11.
- Developed a standalone Java application server to do complex fraud risk analysis in real-time, and integrated it with Open Market Transact e-commerce server via their C++ API (later sold to CyberSource).
- Led the short term effort to integrate BuyDirect's ecommerce system into Beyond.com's after merger, with zero downtime at cutover.
- Built on BuyDirect's experience scaling systems to architect and design large-scale ecommerce infrastructure to facilitate Beyond.com's long term strategy.
- Relied on by CNET for their strategic development project, Computers.com, as primary technical resource for large team of designers and developers creating the website, including: database modeling and programming; object-oriented design, development, and training; automated data harvesting (aggregation and integration).
- Produced comprehensive Internet/Intranet Strategy & Architecture document for object-oriented database vendor Versant, which included detailed requirements analysis and implementation roadmap to align technical strategy with long-term business objectives.
- Conceived and developed proof-of-concept toolset and framework for building large-scale distributed object applications using Java and CORBA, with focus on code generation and migrating legacy applications.
Key technical resource for consulting firms (merged) throughout full lifecycle of numerous mission-critical projects for clients in various industries and of all sizes. Also led in-house efforts to implement reusable code repository, development utilities, code generators, coding standards, API libraries, and Intranet applications. Some representative projects include:
- Replaced manual production scheduling process with an automated distributed production scheduling system, Levi Strauss & Co.
- Global marketing and opportunity management and tracking system, providing a user base of 1700 with extensive workflow management capabilities during company's transition from military to private sector market targeting, Hughes Aircraft Company.
- Fundraising system targeting $20 billion/10 year campaign, Harvard University.
- Highly secure enterprise contact management system with sub-second response time requirements, Creative Artists Agency.
- Architectural redesign of satellite broadcast scheduling system to resolve performance bottleneck, Hughes Communications.
- Integrated reporting with automated production and testing systems, Packard Bell.
- Focused on automating manual processes for businesses, primarily by designing and developing multi-user database applications.
- Developed a computerized volunteer management system for the volunteer department at St. Luke's/Roosevelt Hospital.
- Developed curriculum and taught several courses at vocational computer training center (VidKids).
- Published articles in leading monthly database journals, including DBMS and Databased Advisor.
- Technical editor for Sybase SQL Server Survival Guide (Wiley & Sons).
- Developed and published an API library for FoxPro that provides direct access to Sybase and Microsoft SQL Server via their native DB-Library client interface.
- Among the first developers in the country to be certified on Microsoft Windows NT and Microsoft SQL Server.